Monday, August 28, 2017

A Dancer in the Infinite - Chapter 29


Chapter 29

The Huntsmen and the Wood Nymph

 

Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.

-Cormac McCarthy

 

Things have their forms not only in space, but also in time. – Alan Moore

 

     Regenulfa had lived in the woods for a year before she encountered another human being.  In that time she had accomplished all sorts of amazing things.  She had learned the language of the birds and the beasts, such that she could have a complete conversation with great fluency with any animal she came across in her wild wanderings.  She had learned exactly what berries, nuts, and roots were editable and which were not.  She had discovered quite the knack for finding springs in the mountains.  So it was that the Merovingian princess never suffered from hunger or thirst.  When her gown had gotten too warn and tattered, she learned how to make new ones out of leaves and grasses.  She could find her way by the stars’ light and locations.  She had seen many wonders, and the faces of God in many places.  In every place she looked to be exact.  God was no phantom who resided in Heaven, he was everywhere and everything.  He was both creator and creation. 

     She was tending a wounded wild boar when she saw him.  He was a hunter, she gathered upon first sight.  No doubt, the very hunter who had shot the boar she was hugging.  She hurried to complete her ministrations to the beast and sent him running down into the thicket below them.  She knew exactly what needed to be done.  The hunter had heard the boar’s flight; he would know it was his prey.  He had to be stopped.

     Regenulfa rose from her crouched position to standing and began waving her arms to attract the huntsmen.  She yelled up to him, first in Latin, then in French as she did not speak the local Occitan, “Exspecta! Attende!”

     The youth, for he could be no older than she, held still; looking to find the source of her voice.  She had a moment to take him in.  He was a handsome, clean shaven young man, about seventeen.  He wore a brown leather tunic and dark green leggings, and boots.  He wore no hat upon his head.  And he held his bow half drawn, arrow fitted and ready.  It was few seconds before he caught sight of Regenulfa, and when he did so his eyes grew large in amazement.  She realized that she must have presented quite the apparition, with her hair wild and tangled and her garments of leaves and grass.  He released all tension on his bow.

     He answered in the French of the day, his voice rugged but full of wonder, “Are you a nymph? A faerie?  Some goddess of the wood, I have happened upon?”

     “No, good sire, I am a simple girl.”

     “And what brings you so deep in the woods?  How is it that you are garbed so?  Did I not see you but a moment before with the very boar I was pursuing?  How is that possible?”

     “I live in these woods.  I have made these clothes.  The boar was my friend.  All the beasts of these forests are my friends,” she felt fierceness come into her voice, “And I ask you to hunt them here no more.”

     The huntsmen’s went even wider as he heard her words.  For a moment he was dumbfounded.  When he spoke again, his words stammered from his lips.

     “B-b-b-b-ut.  How is this possible?”

     “It is God’s Will, and I am his servant.”

     “Did I not hear you talking with the beast, my prey?”

     “You did, sir,” She answered.  “I speak with all my forest friends.  Their language is not so hard to learn if one has patience and intuition.”

     His eyes were making her feel uncomfortable, as he took her in more fully.

     “Then you speak the lost Language of the Birds?”

     “I do sir, if that is what you would call it.  They do not use that name, of course.”

     “I do not believe you are human … you must be some spirit of the wood. What is your name?”

     “I am Regenulfa of Incourt,” she stated plainly.

     “The lost bride of Carcassonne?”

     “I am no man’s bride.  But I was betrothed to my cousin, Count Carte’, who holds court in Carcassonne.  That is true.”

     “Then, you were not kidnapped by rival lords, as was believed.”

     “No. But I beg you say nothing of seeing me here, sir, I beg you.”

     The young and dashing huntsmen fell silent, and considered what he had just heard.  They both stood there regarding each other.  Finally, he broke the silence:

     “My name is Ugar Cathiere, and I place myself at your service, Great Lady of the Forest, Regenulfa of Incourt.”  He bowed low.  “I shall live to do your will, for I have never seen such beauty and such divinity in a human being before in all my life.  I promise to keep your secret, if you will grant me but one favor.”

     “And what is that, Ugar?”

     “That I may visit with you, and ever devote myself to your service.”

copyright 2017 Diana Hignutt

No comments:

Post a Comment