Thursday, February 5, 2015

Weird Facts Thursday!!!!

So, here we are again, Thursday.  It's evening for me.  I've eaten my dinner with my dad and come to tend my blogly duties.  Which today means....WEIRD FACTS!

- In 1897 hundreds of thousands of people, if not millions, across the United States witnessed the mysterious giant airship.  Over cities like Sioux City, Omaha and Cleveland, over woods and farms the giant ship was seen for several months as if it were on an impossible tour of the country.  One day it would be seen in Florida, the next in Ohio, and then in Nevada.  The ship was always described with similar details, which even modern aviation experts agree would not allow the vast ship to fly.  And more remarkably it was not uncommon for people to encounter the operators of the mysterious craft.  Occasionally a farmer would see the airship over his property to find men hoisting buckets of water from their wells to the ship.  Sometimes, the crew would ask the farmer if he minded, sometimes they hurried off, climbing ropes to get back on board.  And every once in while the crew would answer questions.  Most of them seemed like normal people, and they would claim they came from so and so town in so and so state (it differed each time) where the ship was built.  That they were testing the ship and soon they would be mass produced and common in the skies.  Some accounts indicated that some of the crew were not human, however, and small hairy creatures were often reported in the vicinity of the airship.

-When I read Daschel Hammett's classic The Maltese Falcon in France last October, I refused to acknowledge the descriptions of Sam Spade (who's a blonde bruiser in the book) and replaced him with Humphrey Bogart in my mind.  I loved it.  It's a great book.  Surprisingly modern, but what would you expect from the first noir detective novel?

-My favorite Beatle is George, not that I didn't like John Lennon.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Weird facts Thursday! This is very intriguing if not mysterious. Thank you for writing it. I so look forward to weird facts Thursday!

    ReplyDelete