Friday, September 1, 2017

A Dancer in the Infinite - Chapter 51


Chapter 51 Count Raymond Seeks Council.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. – Philip K. Dick

One verse (Job 37:21) states, "And now they do not see light, it is brilliant (Bahir) in the skies...[round about God in terrible majesty]." Another verse, however, (Psalm 18:12), states, "He made darkness His hiding place." It is also written (Psalm 97:2), "Cloud and gloom surround Him." This is an apparent contradiction. A third verse comes and reconciles the two. It is written (Psalm 139:12), "Even darkness is not dark to You. Night shines like day - light and darkness are the same." - Rabbi Nehuniah ben HaKana

 

     “Joshua,” said Raymond, “I count as my wisest friend.  And I have invited you to sup with me, just you and I to take your council.”

     Joshua bowed his head, “My Lord is too kind.

     “Nonsense,” replied Raymond.  “I endeavor to be exactly as kind as necessary, and in this case, there is no kindness in truth, simply truth.”

     Plates of fruits, cheeses, breads, and cooked pheasant covered the table, with three bottles of Raymond’s finest wines (two of which came from Jsohua’s vineyard) were placed as if watch towers looming over the meal to ensure that no thrist was left unquenched between the count ahd his friend.

     “What council will you have from me, My Lord Raymond?  I am, as always, at your service.” Joshua said before he bit into some pheasant.

     “You are aware, of course, the despite my reconciliation with Innocent in Rome, Montfort continues to nip at my vassals, and assail the villages of my domain closest to Carcassonne, and to the east in Monteplier.  The ancient rights of the liege lord are nothing to him.  I fear sooner or later his eyes will fall on Toulouse, this mad dog of the Church.”

     “Then” said the wise Cabalist, “You should take your case, directly to the Pope, take with you your son, young Raymond VII, visit with the French King to the north on your way.  Use the excuse of introducing young Raymond as your passport to both leaders, and then use the opportunity this affords you to press your concerns with them.”

     Raymond smiled with a twinkle in his eye.  “And this, Joshua, is why you are my wisest friend.  I fret for weeks for a course of action, and you after a mere moment suggest the wisest course.”

copyright 2017 Diana Hignutt

No comments:

Post a Comment