Tuesday, September 5, 2017

A Dancer in the Infinite - Chapter 85


Chapter 85 At the Top of the Cubservies Falls


But oh, beamish nephew, beware of the day,
If your Snark be a Boojum! For then
You will softly and suddenly vanish away,
And never be met with again!
  - Lewis Carroll



    

     The very top of the Cubservies Waterfall is a rocky bluff.  A few scattered springs of broom, and a solitary scrub oak tree, its roots dug into the crevices in the hard stone are all that populate its height.  It is impossible to even see the falls from even the most daring ledge, as the cliff faces are so shear and high.  The fall’s roar of rushing water is so loud it drowns out almost all other sound, not even the blustery early November gusts can be heard above its sound.

     Both Marie’s manifested simultaneously on the uneven rocky precipice, almost five hundred feet aloft.  The evil Marie had an expression mixed with both distain and triumph.

     “I got your message obviously,” she said.  “I’m impressed that you figured out so quickly how to the word out across the multiverse to me.  But, I’m here.”

     “Yeah, I can see that, Marie.  I’m not as stupid as you seem to think I am.”

     “Oh, I don’t think you’re stupid at all, Marie.  You’re the second best of us.  But, since there’s only the two of us left in all the universe, I guess that isn’t saying as much as I intend.  I apologize.  I really hold you in the highest regard.  No other Marie Brabant has ever come as close to my power as you have.  I’m really am, as I said, quite impressed.”

     “Thanks.”

     “Don’t mention it.” The evil Marie replied.  “Now, let’s get down to business…I do after all have a multiverse to conquer…and I don’t have all day.”  She looked around their surroundings and admired the view.  “Nice place for a meeting, by the way, but you can see the falls better from that overlook over there in the hamlet of Cubservies, you know.”

     “I like it better here,” Marie said blandly and without emotion.  “So let’s talk about the terms of surrender you offered me.  Are they still on the table?”
     At this the other Marie’s face lit up and a broad smile spread.  “Your own universe, free of me and my Toxies, to do as you please?  Of course, nothing would please me more, Marie.  As I said, I feel a certain sisterly affection for you and I’ve cleared out all the other Maries, so you’re free to take your pick from thousands of universes.  Have you decided with you want a universe with a better Roger, or perhaps you’re more interested in Barry now…that’s what Wally said.  Anyway, I can change things however you like them…my power is growing immeasurably…I am nearly a goddess already…and soon I shall be supreme.”

     “Whoa there, cowgirl,” Marie said wryly.  “Hold your horses.  I would like to make a counter offer.”

     Marie could tell, the other Marie had gone quite insane.  Her confidence was absolute.  Her guard was down.  She was so convinced of her own supremacy, so imagined no danger to herself.  Perfect.  Did she ever hear Mike’s warning in the Temple?  Did she remember it, if she did hear it?  Marie supposed she find out in just a minute.

     “What counter offer?  My terms are quite generous, I thought,” the evil Marie remarked with some indignation.

     “This one,” Marie replied as she ran as fast as she could at her mad dopleganger.  She threw herself at her with all her strength, and whatever superhuman momentum she could gain before she contacted her adversary.  Marie grabbed her villainous other-dimensional twin as she lunged at her and pulled her off her feet, taking both of them over the ledge of the cliff and down the falls.

     Marie held her as long as she could before the force of gravity and the powerful force of the water of the roaring falls caught her leg and pulled them apart.

     Damn it, Marie thought as she lost her grip on the evil Marie.  Time for Plan B.

copyright 2017 Diana Hignutt

No comments:

Post a Comment