Sunday, September 3, 2017

A Dancer in the Infinite - Chapter 76


Chapter 76 Back to the Chateau


But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you. I love you. With all my heart, I love you.  – Alan Moore




     Marie was actually quite pleased to find a gun pointed at her from no less than Barry Allen when she returned to the Egg Room and the Egg was opened.

     “Thank God,” she said with evident relief, “You got my message.”

     Barry smiled, glad to see her, but kept the weapon, which she recognized has Wally’s Glock, trained upon her.

     “Yep.  Thank God your back, we were starting to getting worried…”

     “Starting to get worried?” Jackie said with a light smile towards both of them.

     “I’ve never been so glad to see anyone in my life,” said Stan.  “But,” he added to Barry, “Keep the gun on her my dear boy, we can’t be sure it’s actually our Marie yet, can we?”

     “How are we going to figure it out?” asked Barry.

     “Science,” said Jenkins who followed by Helmer came into the Egg Room.

     “Stan,” he continued, “Be a good chap, and take the gun from Barry, and as you suggested, keep it on Marie for now.  Barry please step closer to Marie and help Jackie get her out of the Egg.”

     Marie reclined patiently, fully understanding and even being grateful for these precautions.

     “Well, you know about the message, or so it would seem,” Jenkins observed, “though it is possible that you simply guessed a message had been sent upon seeing the gun leveled at you.  You’re certainly clever enough for that.”

     Marie waited patiently for Jackie to undo her sensors, when she went for the IV, Marie stopped her, “No, we’re going to need that.  I’ll probably be making more trips fairly quickly,” she advised her.

     “Just as well”, said Jackie, “We sent the doctor home after you didn’t come back the first day.  And, it’s been a long time since I put an IV in.”

     “You’re not bad at it at all, actually,” Marie said knowingly.  “Just disconnect the IV from the Egg, and I’ll get out of here.”

     “You’ll need help certainly?” offered Barry.

     “Nope, I’m good, I’m getting better and better at this.”

     “After only one trips” Stan asked.

     “Oh, I’ve made a lot more than one trip, Stan, trust me on that one.”

     “So what’s this test?” asked Barry.

     “Barry,” commanded Jenkins, “Assist Marie in extricating herself from the Egg despite her protestations to the contrary.”

     “Okay, chilivry wins the day, apparently,” he offered as an apology to Marie.  And he took her hands and helped lifted her out of the Egg.

     She thrilled at his touch as his hands helped lift her out.

     “Barry,” came Jenkins, “Look at her pupils, and tell me what you see.”

     He stared intently at her eyes.  She looked deeply into his.

     “Her pupils are fairly dilated, Doc.”

     “Stan, please do put the gun down before you shoot someone, there’s a good chap,” Rian Jenkins remarked.  “This is our Marie or at very least, not the evil one.”

     “How could you tell?” Marie asked.

     “The eyes are the mirror to the soul,” he remarked.  “When a person sees someone they…shall we say…really like…they cannot help it, but their pupils will dilate.  Simply physiology.  Science.”

     “What have you learned, Marie?” Stan inquired, “Anything useful, we only have a few minutes until Wally’s deadline.”

     “What day is it? Wednesday already?  Damn it.  That doesn’t give us much time.” She said.

     “Fraid so,” said Barry.

     “Well in just a little bit then, Wally’s going to storm the mountain with an army of infected.  The first few will use explosives to take out the vibration probes and open the whole mountain to the rest.  They’ll have guns, lots of guns, and they expect it to be a blood bath.  But we have something on our side that they’re not counting on.”

     “What’s that?” asked Stan.

     “Me.  Lots and lots of me.”


copyright 2017 Diana Hignutt

No comments:

Post a Comment