Tuesday, September 5, 2017

A Dancer in the Infinite - Chapter 83


Chapter 83 The Right Jenkins

 

Codes play a previously unsuspected role in equations that possess the property of supersymmetry. This unsuspected connection suggests that these codes may be ubiquitous in nature, and could even be embedded in the essence of reality. If this is the case, we might have something in common with the Matrix science-fiction films, which depict a world where everything human beings experience is the product of a virtual-reality-generating computer network. – James Gates

 

 

     Back to the Egg Room, but this time as like the last few trips to fallen Castle Wonderlands, she wasn’t in the Egg.  But unlike those other times, the Egg was not there, but Barry, Stan, Jackie, and Doctor Who all were.  And all alive.

     Before anyone could speak, Luke came into the room, “We’ve got some kind of weird readings on the Mawacky and then it died….”

     And then they all saw her.

     “Marie!” Shouted all five of them at once.  Barry came running up to her and hugged her.

     “She’s back!  You made it!”

     “Where’s the Egg?” asked Stan “how did you come back without the Egg?”

     “I don’t need the Egg anymore, Stan.”

     Doctor Who hurried over with Jackie in tow, and attempted to check her pulse or whatever, Marie shrugged him away.  “Thanks, but I’m fine, Doc.”

     “But…how could you not need the Egg anymore after only two minutes in one trip?” Stan continued.  “How?”

     “One trip?  Yeah, I guess, that’s what it would seem like to you all.”  Agreed Marie.  “But I’ve made a helluva lot more than one trip, I can tell you that much.”

     Barry released her from his hug, Marie smiled at him, “It’s good to see you too, Bar.”

     Jenkins then came into the room, with Dutchy following like a puppy dog.

     “Ah,” said Marie, “Just the man I need to see.”

     “But, but…” Stan insisted, “You have to tell us where you’ve been off to…you’re saying you made more than one trip?”

     “Yep, that’s what I’m saying,” Marie assured him.

     “Luke’s right, by the way,” said Jenkins, “The Mawacky is offline or something…we’ve stopped getting signals from our colleagues.”

     “That is because, they’re all dead, I’m afraid,” Marie explained.

     “Dead?” blumbered Stan, “How could thousands of versions of us in other universes all die all at once?”

     “Marie Brabant killed them.”

     They all looked at her in horror, their eyes wide their jaws slack.

     “Not me, the other one.”

     “Well, there’s a lot more than one,” Barry corrected her.

     “Not anymore…there’s just two of us,” Marie said, “The first one and the last one.  I’m the last one.  Look I don’t know how much time we have, but I do know she will probably come here and kill us all very soon, if she gets a chance with Wally’s help, of course, but honestly, I’m not sure she really needs it anymore.”

     “How could…?”  Stan began.

     “I’ll explain it all later, Stan, if we survive the next couple of hours,” Marie assured him, “but right now, I need to talk to the Right Jenkins.”

     “The Right Jenkins?” Jackie asked.

     “Yep, and he’s been right here in front of my eyes the whole time…I just didn’t realize it.  Can we go to your office, doc?”

     “Of course, of course,” Jenkins agreed.

     “Oh, and everyone else…you should all get the fuck off out of here and off this mountain now, before Wally shows up with his army of infected and kills you all.  I’ve seen it happen too many times now, I can’t bear to see it again…not to you.  And Jackie…don’t forget to take Virgil with you.”

     “That’s crazy,” exclaimed Stan, “What makes you think we’re in any danger, we’ve been working here for fourteen years.”

     “I won’t leave you,” said Barry to Marie.

     “Yes, you will,” Marie told Barry in a command.  “You have to.  Or you will all die.  I’ve seen it at least fifty times now.  That much I can stop.”

     “And you, Stan,” Marie said, “It’s over.  The Mawacky won’t work anymore…there isn’t anyone else to talk to out there…or no one who’s willing to talk to you.”

     “But…we have to man the Mawacky at all times…” he complained.

     “No, you don’t…” she said plainly.  “The Freezer will still work, you can all come back and tinker with that if you like…in just a couple of days…if my plan works….you might even be able to rig the Mawacky to talk to other hyperdimensional entities out there…but the easy days of talking to yourselves across the universes are over…you’re all dead…everywhere but here…at least for now…I suppose you make enough decisions in a few weeks more of you will be created…so…yeah..okay… but there are a lot of more interesting people to talk to out there…you have no idea…but no more Egg, it’s too dangerous.”

     “But, Rian…” Stan whined…”we can’t just listen to her…all our work”

     “Go, get out of here, you heard her,” Jenkins commanded, “Now.  I’ll call you all when the cost is clear.”

     “And if he doesn’t call you,” said Marie, “it’s because the Multiverse as you know it, including this world…is about to end.  So, you’ll know to make whatever arrangements you have to make.  Go, Wally isn’t going to warn us this time, he’ll be here as soon as she senses that I’ve returned.”

     “Who senses?” Jackie asked.

     “The other Marie Brabant, the first one, the evil one.”  Marie turned to Jenkins, “To your office Dr. Jenkins?”

     “Yes, yes, of course, let’s go”

     Marie grabbed Barry and planted a kiss on his lips, “Stay safe,” she whispered.  “You and I have some unfinished business, Mr. Allen.”  And with that she followed Jenkins out the door to the Freezer.

     She was happy to see all the grad students and even Dr. Helmer all there, with Renee hunched under one of the server panels.

     “Did it work,” asked Brenda.

     “Yep,” Marie answered coyly.  And she and Jenkins went quietly the stone staircase around and around until they came to the third floor where Jenkins office was.  He held the door open for her, indicated a chair for her to take a seat in and closed the door behind them.  He walked around his desk and sat down.

     “So, Marie, what are we to talk about?  And why did you say I was the Right Jenkins?”

     “Because Dr. Jenkins…” she began.

     “No, not Dr. Jenkins, please call me Rian.  I have a feeling I’m the one who should be showing you the respect now.”

     “Okay, then Rian….because a hyperdimensional lemur told me that the right Jenkins knew what I needed to know in order to save the Multiverse from the evil Marie Brabant.  And I know now that you are he…the Right Jenkins.  And I even know what it is that you know about that can help us stop her from taking over everything throughout all everywhere.”

     “You’re saying that I know all this?  I hate to doubt you, but I can’t see how…I’m not the expert of MWI, that’s Stan.”

     “MWI is very cool, but it misses the real point actually.  The truth of the matter is that you and the Cathars were right.”

     “I didn’t know I shared any beliefs with the Cathars, I am an atheist after all.”

     “Are you, are you really?  See, I don’t think you are exactly.  You’re real interest is the Simulation Hypothesis isn’t it?”

He looked surprised.  “How could you know that?”
     “I’ve met a couple of you that were working along those lines…but you’re the one with the information I need to defeat her.  Her Jenkins gave her the clues to all this…and that’s what really started this mess…but he didn’t know what you know…and now you and I are going to finish it.”
     “If you say so, Marie, but you does seem hard to believe.”
     “Harder to believe than sending someone across the dimensions?  Really, Rian?”
     He laughed, “Okay, I see your point. But what do I and the Cathars have in common?”
     “You’re both proponents of the Simulation Hypothesis,” Marie answered.
     “I think it’s rather a newer idea than they would have been exposed to.”
     “Think so?  Well as I understand it they believed that this reality was in fact an illusion, a false creation made by an evil God that exists within the larger creation of the Ultimate God.  If you think about it, is that really vastly different than the concept of a living in a simulation?”
     “Damn!  That never once occurred to me!”
     “It’s not surprising really, why would a scientist, a cutting edge scientist look back to ancient beliefs and offer them even a slightest thought?  I get it.”
     Jenkins leaned forward excited, “Wow!”
     “Exactly.  I have a feeling that the whole Cathar religion as well as Gnosticism in general was a message to us, an important message that is going to help us figure this shit out.  So, can you summarize the whole thing again…the basics of simulation theory?”
     “Again?”
     “Oh, yeah, sorry, it was another version of you that first told me about it.”
     “Ah, I see.  Well, one of the first theories came in the form of a thought experiment by a fellow named Nick Bostrom.  It goes something like this.  One day technology will advance to the point where people or whatever comes after people are capable of running ancestor simulations to study the behavior of those who came before them.  Supposing this does happen, then most likely it already has happened, and we are in fact living in such a simulation, though completely unaware of it.  Taken further, if this were true, then the odds are that there is a very large number of nested simulations…that is to say simulations inside simulations…with unimaginable numbers of nested simulations between here and what Bostrom calls the Basement Reality.”
     “Basement?  Because that’s the bottom?  So, turtles all the way down?”
     He smiled in excitement, “Yes, exactly.  I hadn’t thought of that mystical notion either.  Now, the problem is one of computing power and energy consumption to run that many simulations.  And it’s equally possible that in addition to the vertical nesting of simulations, that multiple ancestor simulations or lateral simulations could be running concurrently within any one simulation.  Which, once again makes the whole thing seem impossible by the laws of thermodynamics.  Where’s the energy and computational power come from in the Basement Reality?  It would need infinite energy and infinite computational power.”
     “So, are you saying that MWI could simply be concurrent lateral simulations?”
     “Or vertical as well, I see no reason once you can move between lateral simulations you couldn’t move between vertical ones as well.”
     “I don’t see how that would be?”
     “Yes, it’s a tricky point for sure.  But then comes another question, and here’s where I differ from Bostrom…they don’t have to be ancestor simulations that’s just an assumption.  They could be recordings or interactive virtual realities in addition to simulations.  If they are virtual realities, then…it begs yet another question…are we merely avatars or are we sims?”
     “Shit,” said Marie, “That’s deep.”
     “Indeed it is.  This is why I started our project at Castle Wonderland to study those inbetween places…”
     “The interstitial transdimensional boundaries?”
     Jenkins laughed.  “Exactly.  I’d ask you how you knew that, but…it doesn’t matter…I imagine I told you in some universe or other.”
     “Yeah you and Barry, actually.”
     “Well, I believe that’s where the answer lies, that’s where the morphic fields seem exist and interact between the Many Worlds.  If we can study those places, we can look behind the curtain, as it were…and see the very nature…the true nature of reality.”
     “Okay, but…let’s go back to the energy and computational power problem….have you any idea how that could work?”
     “Well suppose the basement reality isn’t like the other simulated realities…though it is their source.  I have come to believe that the basement reality is simply energy and power itself….of infinite transcendental nature…and this is largely what the interstitial transdimensional boundaries are composed of…then the thermodynamic problem would go away.”
     “But, what’s to give everything else a basement then?  Why did the first regular simulation arise in the first place?”
     “Consciousness.”
     “But, there is no consciousness there…I’ve been there…lots of times…forever actually…it’s just light…and energy…the Ain Soph Aur as that old book The Veils of Negative Existence called it.”
     “And morphic fields that are, in a sense, transtemporal …meaning that time is irrelevant.”
     “I don’t get it.” Marie sighed, a little flustered.
     “Think, Marie, think.  We knew consciousness exists, right?”
     “Yeah.”
     “And throughout the Multiverse, there’s lots and lots of it, right?”
     “Okay.”
     “So that has generated a strong consciousness morphic field that has permeated the Multiverse and…the interstitial transdimensional boundary…”
     “So you’re saying that….”
     “That consciousness itself created the first level simulation beyond the Basement Reality of the interstitial transdimensional boundary.”
     “Oh Fuck!  That’s what she’s trying to do!”
     “Who?  What?” asked Jenkins.
     “She’s trying to fill the Multiverse with her consciousness.  She created or adapted the Toxies.  She’s trying to become God of the Multiverse and direct all creation everywhere.”
     Jenkins leaned back in his chair and turned pale.  “Oh my God!  And she can do it too.”
     “She almost has,” Marie said.
     “What are we going to do?”
     “I’m going to stop her.  Or die trying.”
     Then she paused, “Wait, I have few last questions for you.”
     “Okay.”
     “First, you don’t have a family do you?”
     “No, my dear…there was this girl at Princeton though…”
     “Okay, okay.  And you weren’t part of the Ongs Hat Travel Cult, right?”
     “No, Stan is our connection to Chandler and them.”
     “Last question then…how did you get that copy of VALIS?
“Oh, Chandler told Stan he got it from you.”
copyright 2017 Diana Hignutt

No comments:

Post a Comment