Tuesday, September 5, 2017

A Dancer in the Infinite - Chapter 84


Chapter 84 Spreading the Word

 

     I get by with a little help from my friends – John Lennon and Paul McCartney

 

     “I’m back!” she announced to a startled Phil, who was still drinking the oily liquid from the saucer before him as she manifested in her chair at their table.

Phil spat a little in his startled surprise.

     “You know, you make everybody else do that outside.”

     “Yeah, that makes sense…but it is my place, right?”

     “Of course it is,” he agreed, “But it still doesn’t make it right popping in and out and startling people half to death.”

     “Sorry bout that, Phil.”

     “Ah, that’s okay…so, the multiverse safe yet?”

     “Not quite yet, my friend, not quite yet.  Three more things to do, first.  And by the way, if this doesn’t work…we’ll never meet and I’ll never again a chance to tell you this, but you’re probably the best friend I’ve ever had, when I needed a friend the most, and it’s been an honor, sir.  A great honor to share a friendship with you.”

     Was the little robotic centipede choked up?  He trouble getting his words out, “Um…likewise…every since you saved my life all those years ago…you have been the greatest being I have ever met.  But, do you really think things won’t work out.  I mean you’re Marie Brabant.  You’re like practically all-powerful and all…how could you lose?  Who exactly are you battling against to save the universe?”

     “Myself.”

     Marie stood up and cleared her throat.  “Everybody!  Can I have your attention, please?”

     The music stopped the screens went blank and all eyes and various sensory organs turned to her.

     “First, I’d like to thank you all for coming, both new visitors and regulars…it is you that have made Elsewhere the success it is today.  I could not have done it without you all.  I am truly grateful to you all.”

     A warm murmur came over the bar, and shouts of “Marie!” and Hear! Hear! And a Huzzah! Filled the room for a moment or two.  Marie waved them all to quiet.

     “Thank you!  That said, Elsewhere and in fact the very Multiverse are facing their greatest challenges since the very beginnings of either.  It is very likely that within just a few minutes, Elsewhere will cease to exist, and the Multiverse will be overrun by a single source of all consciousness…essentially…we will all die.”

     Shocked gasps now spread across the assembellage.

     “It’s okay though…I have a plan that can save us all, the very Multiverse, and, of course, this bar…but, I’m going to need all of your help.”

     Impassioned calls of “Whatever you need, Marie!” and “You can count on us!” and “We won’t let you down” now echoed throughout Elsewhere’s spacious confines.

     “I know you won’t.  That’s why I’m confident that we can win the day in this great battle for Eternity itself, for Individuality, for Life, for Freedom, for…Everything!” she raised her voice with great enthusiasm and all were enrapt in her words.

     “Now,” she said. “This is what I need you to do…I need everyone…except the lemurs…I have a special job for you guys.  But…I need the rest of you to spread the word …however you can…across the dimensions, to every reality you can access…leave notes…tell everyone you know…that I’m looking for Marie Brabant….”

     Now everyone was looking at her with cocked visual appendages and or eyes.

     “That’s right, I’m looking for the only other Marie Brabant left in existence.  We need to talk.  I’m willing to negotiate with her.  And she’s to meet me in Languedoc.  At the top of the Cubservies Cascades.  Just her and me.  No tricks.  No Toxies.  Just the two of us.  And we’re going to settle this little game of ours. Once and for all.”

     “Oh,” Marie added, “Where’s Bruce?  I have special job for him too.”


copyright 2017 Diana Hignutt

No comments:

Post a Comment