Friday, September 1, 2017

A Dancer in the Infinite - Chapter 53


Chapter 53 Chandler’s Tale

In order to more fully understand this reality, we must take into account other dimensions of a broader reality – John Wheeler

I am not omniscient, but I know a lot.― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

 

     A.J. Chandler seated himself on a flatish rock before his campfire and gestured towards a even more comfortable rock on the other side of fire for Marie’s use.  The fire felt good, warming and wholesome.  It immediately chased away the morning chill that still embraced the wooded mountain despite the sun’s location’s declaration of near noon.  The fire was set in a small forest glade not far from the grassy overlook where Marie had arrived.

     “How did you know where to find me?” Marie asked her host.

     “Oh, that’s an easy one.  I found you exactly where you left from, but in a slightly different universe.  Apparently, whenever anyone from our universe travels across the dimensions…this is where they come the first time, for whatever reason.  My guess, is that it’s safe here.  No people.  No Toxies.  No Militant AI presence.  And not that many natural predators.   I mean sure, there. Bear, wolves, probably the odd mountain lion, and such, but remember… they’ve never smelled anything like us… we’re very frightening on an almost existential level to the fauna here.  Possibly the flora too.”

     “Why would we come to a safe place, first?”

     “Well, that’s the question, isn’t it?  I know that Rick Strassman has told Stan that with DMT travels, er, what’s that quote, ‘Intention is Everything.’  My guess is the unconscious of the traveler from our Earth directs them, as they reel from the quite disorienting effects of trip, to a safe place.  But, if you really think about it, other explanations are just as likely.”

     Marie listened to him.  His words, despite the impossible sound of them, made complete sense to her after her journey across the Veil.  She saw a metal coffee pot next to the fire.

     “I would kill for some coffee right now,” she said, looking with thirst at the pot, and then placing her eager eyes upon Chandler.

     “That’s not a very good idea,” Chandler responded.  “It’s not that I’m being a bad host, or selfish, but…if you partake of any food or drink while you’re in another universe…you have to wait for it to pass through your system before you can get back home.  Rather like the fairy tale accounts of those spirited away by the Good Folk.   Who, by the way, are simply nasty bastards.  Don’t trust them, if you should encounter them.  Totally taken over by the Toxies for millennia now…fuckers.”

     “No shit.” Said Marie in surprise.

     “I shit you not” he reassured her.  “But don’t worry, there’s none of them here for some reason.  Only a very few humans and a few stragglers or homesick among a race of super intelligent hyperdimensional lemurs on this world.  Both of which are quite rare, outside of the Pine Barrens and Nepal, or the equivalent of those places.”

     “Wait,” Marie questioned.  “I was told that I am the only human to so far be able to travel there and back across the universes, or whatever.  But, you’re here, and that whole Ongs Hat business?”

     “Very good,” Chandler acknowledged.  “You’re as sharp as they say.  You take after your grandfather.”

     “You knew my grandfather.  Of course!  His friends from Princeton!”

     Another smile from Chandler.  “Ah, he mentioned us, then?”

     “He took me by your Ashram once, back in 1986, when I was going hiking and camping at Bodine Field.  Several people waved and greeted him by name as we drove by on the sand road.  I asked who they were.  He said: ’Friends from Princeton.’”

     “Really?  Wow, small world, ay kiddo?  I must not have been there. He must have seen the flags on the old barn That was the sign I was gone: my flag was a Grateful Dead Tie-Dye.  We each had one.  Larry Brabant would have never have driven by the Ashram without stopping if Jenkins or I were there.  Interesting.”

     “Oh my God, did he ever come here with you guys?”

     There was a twinkle in Chandler’s eye, “Once or twice, maybe.”

     “Jesus!  Wait! Jenkins was one of you guys! Holy Shit! Okay, but I still don’t get how you guys can travel back and forth and supposedly nobody else can?”

     “We could, but we can’t anymore.  I mean we can go to all sorts of interesting other universes, but we can’t go home, anymore.  Not since you, er, the other Marie Brabants started leaving other universes.  Once the first one came here, what three years ago, thereabouts…none of us could get back home.  And I’ve been stuck here in France, greeting various versions of you since then.”

     “I don’t understand?”

     “Neither do we.  We’re kind of hoping that somehow, you, being from Earth I and rending the Veil here, the first human from our dimension since we got here, will find a way for us to return home.  No pressure, of course.  Oh dear, looks like you’ll be leaving any moment now.”

     Marie looked down at herself.  Her golden suit was glowing with light.

     “Safe travels, Marie.  I hope we meet again.”

copyright 2017 Diana Hignutt

No comments:

Post a Comment