Tuesday, September 5, 2017

A Dancer in the Infinite - Chapter 81


Chapter 81  Back to the Bar

 

Where everybody knows your name… Gary Portnoy

 

     In just a moment, or was it an eternity, she was back in Elsewhere, the loud boisterous warmth of the place instantly surrounding her.  She found herself sitting at her table, as Phil had described it.  Phil patiently sitting across from her with what she now recognized as a friendly smile of his robotic, centipede face, with a happy wiggle of antennae.

     “Well, how’d it go?  Save the Multiverse yet, did you?”

     It only took her a second to focus on her new reality, and in that time, a shout of “Marie” went throughout the room.”

     She smiled and waved with a friendly good nature to the crowd.  Had she taught them that Cheers greeting? she wondered, before turning her attention to Phil.

     “I’m afraid I didn’t no.”

     “Well, that sucks,” replied Phil.  “We all doomed then?”  Well, not us, of course, we’re all perfectly safe here…you said so yourself.”

     “I did, huh?  Did I ever say why?”

     “Sure, lots of times, it’s that whole border of interstitial transdimensional boundary thing…we have going here.  At one time, this world was part of the multiverse, but now it isn’t.”

     “Okay, tell me what you know about it, as much as you can remember.”

     As she said those words Oustar was there with a glass of Rassberry Iced Tea, “Always wonderful to see you, Mistress Marie.”

     “Merci, Oustar” Marie answered, “You as well,” with a kind smile.  She meant it.  How much of her automatic responses were generated from morphic resonance she wondered idly for a moment?

     Oustar bowed warmedly, “Can I get you two anything else?”

     “Yeah,”  Marie answered, ‘you know I do love multidimensional cultural music, but I was wondering if we could get a little Bob Marley going, just a song or two, helps me think.”

     “It’s your place, Mistress, Bob Marley coming up.”

     Marie turned back to Phil, “So, tell me about Elsewhere…”

     “Well,”  he began as Buffalo Soldiers came over the speakers, “a very long time ago, this planet, which you may or may not know is my homeworld, and of course the rest of my species at that.  We were involved in a terrible war against these creature…I hardly know what to call them…they had mechanical bodies, but inside they were driven by colonies of mircorganisms, a type of protozoa, I believe.  They had worked out some kind of interface from biological to mechanical, but it would not work on us.  This appeared to enrage them…if protozoa can be enraged.  They all but wiped us out.  That’s why everything is scorched here outside…we would have been doomed…but then somehow…and my parents would never tell me how exactly…as I was a wee mecho-larva at that point…you saved us all.  I know it had something to do with you moving this planet to the interstitial transdimensional boundary border.  That’s about all I know.”

     “How the fuck could I move a planet?  I don’t know how to move planets.”

     “Yet.” Phil said.

     “Okay,” Marie mused out loud, “Well, I’ve got a pretty good idea what your protozoa are, and where they came from.”

     “Well, then you know more than I do.  I told you you’d figure it all out.”

     The song changed to One Love, and Marie could not help but move her body with the reggae beat.  Phil, she noticed had joined her, as had most of the occupants of the bar, which appeared to be pretty much the same crowd as was there the last time she visited.

     “Hey, when did I leave here anyway?”

     “What?  This last time.  I don’t know, just after the game finished up?  About a half an hour ago, something like that anyways.”

     “Wow,” she observed.  “Time flies why you’re doing weird shit, I guess, or it doesn’t…whatever.”

     At this Phil laughed.  “You’re so awesome, Marie.  Thank you for being my friend.”

     “Thanks for being mine.  You have no idea how helpful it is to have a friend like you and a place like this to come to.”

     Was he blushing?  Well, perhaps the robotic centipede equivalent of blushing.

     Bob Marley was singing in the background:

     One Love.  One Love.  Let’s get together and we’ll feel alright.

     “Oh my God!  That’s it!” she exclaimed.  “Or that’s part of it.”

     “What is?” asked Phil.

     “I know where I need to start,” she answered.

     “Where?”

     “I need to visit the Right Jenkins.”

     “The who?”

     “I know exactly who the right Jenkins is.  And I know exactly where to find him.  It’s been right in front of me the whole damned time.”

     “But you can’t leave now,” replied Phil, “Coff-Coff just put your favorite TV program on all the screens.”

     “MY favorite TV program?”

     “Well, it’s open for debate you said, either Sherlock or the early BBC Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett.  Coff-Coff went Brent, this time, but look, it’s your favorite episode, The Final Solution.”

     “Reichenbach Falls!”  Marie shouted.  “Yes!”

     “Well, I didn’t think you’d get that excited about it, you have seen it before you know.”

     “Don’t you see?  The songs, the Marley and the Holmes.  They were messages, future me has sent current me.  One Love and Reichenbach Falls.  Those are the answers I need.  Now, I just have a couple of questions for the Right Jenkins and I’ll know exactly what to do.”

     “Really?” asked Phil incredulously.  “From a song and a TV show, you know how to save the Multiverse?”

     “Yep.  I think so.”

     “You’re not planning on doing anything crazy are you?” Phil asked his little face suddenly wrapped in concern.

     “My friend, Philip,” she answered, “Every bit of this business is crazy…that’s the only way to be.  I’ll come back in two seconds, and if I’m right, the Multiverse will be saved, and we’ll watch this episode together, and I’ll buy you another one of those…things you drink.”

     “Sounds like a deal.  Just be careful, Marie, you have a lot of friends here.”

     “I’ll be as careful as possible, but if it doesn’t work, then we’ll never have met, and you won’t know to miss me.” She replied.  “See ya…”

     And she wrapped the cloak of Ain around herself and she was gone.

copyright 2017 Diana Hignutt

No comments:

Post a Comment