Monday, September 4, 2017

A Dancer in the Infinite - Chapter 79


Chapter 79 Face to Face


But his soul was mad. Being alone in the wilderness, it had looked within itself and, by heavens I tell you, it had gone mad.- Joseph Conrad





     After the other Maries had left, Marie ordered Stan, Barry, and Jackie to the battlements on the roof with the few firearms that were available.  She kept Friese and Jenkins to man the Freezer and Mawacky for news.  She, herself waited in the Egg Room.  She knew she would come.  She could feel it.

In the distance she heard the first explosion.  She flinched at the sound.  She knew inside that one of the Marie’s had given her life for them.

     Her plan had been to send the other Maries down the mountain moving the vibrational sensors further down and away from their previous positions.  Theoretically Wally would have located, if he hadn’t know all of their previous locations already, where they were and sent his explosive teams to destroy them.  By moving them further down, most of the explosion teams would be cleared of their infections before they reached the spots where they were expecting to find them.  Maybe, many of Wally’s infected army would succumb to the ploy before he or the Toxies could figure it out.

     The sound of the explosion wasn’t a great sign.  And then another one.  Shit!

     Jenkins shouted from the other room, “Another Egg incoming!”

     “It’s her,” Marie replied.

     “Can we just leave her in there?” asked Jenkins.

     “We can try, but she can get out on her own.  I think I could now, so I’m sure she can.  She’s been at this a lot longer than I have.”

     “Let’s be polite and let her out then,” Jenkins suggested.

     He entered the Egg room and hit the controls to open the Egg.

     The other Marie in the Egg smiled at recognition, “Hello Rian, so lovely to see you alive.  Sadly, you won’t be for long.  Oh, and you again, how are you Marie?  Good to see you.  I feel like we’re sisters of a sort.  I feel a sisterly affection for you.”

     “Sisterly affection didn’t stop you for killing those other Maries.”

     “Well, they were different than us, weren’t they?  Inferior.  The first and the last, we share a special bond that the others didn’t.  And, I’d say you’ve done one hell of a job killing Maries yourself this morning.  How many to you lure here to their doom?  They’re all going to die in just a few more minutes.”

     Her comment was punctuated by the sound of more explosions and the rapid stinging of automatic assault rifle rounds.

     She was different than the other Maries, though in significant ways, now that Marie had a chance to examine her in the harsh fluorescent lighting.  She was in perfect shape, a perfect physical specimen, and what was it?  Ah, she looked to be a good fifteen years younger than Marie herself.

     “And, for what?” the evil Marie continued.  “This isn’t even your own universe.”

     “What?”

     “Oh, dear, so new at this, aren’t you?  You can’t even tell your home universe, such a rookie mistake.  No, this isn’t it.  You have never actually returned there after your first trip.  Close, this one is very close to in many respects…but…don’t believe me?  Ask Jenkins who’s the President of the United States, he’s a limey, but he’ll know.  Tell her.”

     “Roderick Pluerry.”

     “Who the fuck is Roderick Pluerry?” asked Marie.

     “Exactly,” replied the evil Marie.  She turned to Jenkins.  “Do you have a wife and children on Earth II, as you call it?”

     “Yes, yes I do.”

     She addressed Marie, “Your Jenkins isn’t married, well except to his work.  You didn’t even go to the right Earth II on your first trip.  Ha.  You met the wrong Chandler on the wrong Earth II.  I love it.  You can’t have fucked this up more if you tried, Marie.  You just couldn’t have.  Anyway, I want to talk to you alone.”

     She then turned again to Jenkins, “If you’ll allow us this time together for our sisterly chat, I’ll tell Wally to hold up a bit on the siege.  How’s that sound?  Fair?”

     “Yes, I suppose so.”  He looked at Marie with concern.  “I’ll leave you two for a moment, Marie, if you need me, just yell.”  And he left.

     “Well, Marie, isn’t this nice.  Just you and me,” said the evil Marie.

     “What do you want?”

     “I’ve come for two reasons, the first is to have a little chat with you, answer a few of your questions, make you an offer, and the second, you’ll see…though I assure you…I mean you no harm personally.”

     “Chat away then,” said Marie who noticed the sound of explosions and gunfire had ceased.

     “Well, first, I’d like to make you an offer.  A simple offer.  I am prepared to leave one universe unharmed and untouched for your use.  I’ll remove all traces of the Toxies from that universe.  You can have it all to yourself.”

     Marie laughed at her face, “What makes you think the Toxies will do that?”

     “Oh, you don’t know?  I would have thought you would have figured it out by now.  I made the Toxies.  When I learned of the toxoplasma gondii in my universe, it was after I had gained some experience in the interdimensional world thanks to my Jenkins and company.  Like you, I have the power to change things in reality, so I jiggered the little blighters, added quantum antennae and turned them to my use…to expand my consciousness throughout the multiverse…to become God.”

     “You’re insane!”

     “Sanity is over-rated, Omnipotence and Omniscience, not so much.”

     “What the fuck happened to you?”

     “We don’t exactly share the entirely same back story, dear.  For example, you fled your Roger…I killed mine.”

     “You killed Roger?”

     “Your Roger is fine, I killed my Roger. So, as I was saying, I am prepared to offer you your own personal universe, to do what you like.  Change it however you want.  There’s still so many to choose from.  So many.  Perhaps, you’d like a universe where Roger wasn’t bi-polar?  I know of a couple, we could stick you in.  You could live happily ever after.  Whatever.  You want Barry instead?  Sure, you can even have an unmolested Chateau de Pays m des Merveilles if you like, no problem.  Though that would come with one catch…you could only travel within the confines of your universe and it’s past and future…but that’s a lot of times and places to explore…it would keep you busy for the rest of your life.  Anyway, think about it, dear Marie.  We’ll meet again.”

     With that her yoke suit glowed and she faded away in a mass of glowing golden light.  The explosions and gunfire resumed immediately.

     “Fuck it,” she said.  “I’m going after that bitch.”

     And she faded from manifestation.

copyright 2017 Diana Hignutt

No comments:

Post a Comment